Thursday 10 March 2016

Great Interior Design Challenge Series 3...

Hopefully better late than never, here is my look back at Season Three of The Great Interior Design Challenge. The telly highlight of the year.

I got told off last year for revealing the winner when people hadn't watched it all yet, so this time I'm giving NOTHING away.



My daughter and I were glued to our TV for another year of harsh judgements, frightening wallpaper choices and shoddy paintwork. But who am I to criticise? It takes me 6 months to paint a wardrobe. I think that what the contestants achieve in three days is incredible. In three days I have just made a box valance for a bed. Three full days too.

Which is why I am not on this show.

From Peckham in London to castles in Scotland, Tom Dyckoff was constantly, ''Constantly taken aback by the huge variety of property styles in Britain.''




As I said last year, our own judging begins when we meet the contestants. I love the brief peep into their own homes. My favourite designers were the delightful Frankie who lives in chinoiserie splendour. Rob with his interesting facial hair and tweed jacket, Sarah; totally best friend material, Lucy-lovely-legs, Jamie, who I want to adopt, Anne with her exquisite Tyneside home and Craig who I want to move in with. His home was more ''me'' than my own home. Loved it. Some wonderful personalities.

Connie and I were enjoying the series so much that my husband even started watching. He became quite the expert. The Peak District episode led to the question, ''What was the brief? A bohemian drug den or a psychopaths kill room?''

I almost had to kick him out for daring to diss Daniel Hopwood. No. Not in my living room. Leave chiseled jawed Daniel alone or leave.




I think the designers did a remarkable job this series. The time constraints, some VERY awkward clients and the fact that the judges seemed to want revolutionary ideas over meeting the brief and creating coherent rooms, didn't help. Haven't they been on Pinterest? There's nothing that hasn't been done before.

We howled with rage as our favourites left the show. I was bowled over by Lucys stunning Scandinavian bedroom. Truly breathtaking. And we fretted for the finalists as they were judged by the fierce Kelly Hoppen.




I was happy with the winner. Were you?
You can catch up on BBC i player if you're quick.

Painted wardrobe post coming soon.
I promise.

Alicia Piper, your wallpaper is HERE

17 comments:

  1. I watched again this year too EK although I did miss a couple due to work. Thought some of the work was slapdash but I do understand about the time constraints... and then they go and throw an upcycle-in-an-hour into the mix. Lucy's constant crying got on my wick but I did love her Scandi bedroom, also liked Anne's wonderful creativity. The judges comments were so predictable that I knew what they were going to say before they said it. Change the script. Funny you should post today, just painted my dresser with chalk paint (first time using), waxed it but not buffed yet...it looks hideous..patchy. Any ideas? Looking forward to seeing how it should be done. (your wardrobe!) Missed you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is, it does look patchy. That's why I don't like it. Your best bet is to buff it and paint over the flat bits with more chalk paint, perhaps diluted with a little water and a smooth gloss mini roller on the flat areas. It's the thickness of the paint that makes all the brush strokes and paint rows show. The waxing just enhances all of it I'm afraid. Good luck!!! xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks EK. I did use a roller on the flat bits but will buff up and see if it is redeemable. Will be using the old faithful eggshell in future. Did you see your Wilko paint got a good review on telly last night? x

      Delete
    3. Ooh no, I didn't. What show was that? See? I know my paint! xx

      Delete
    4. Buy Well For Less...a new consumer prog. I think it came out as well as Dulux in their 'blind' tests.

      Delete
  2. I only saw half of the one solely because it was in Bournville in Birmingham but, to be honest, lost interest and wandered off.
    Show us yer wardrobe. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only watched a few of these but I got put off by the lack of painting skills etc they may be hopefull designers but they really need to go off and teach themselves some proper DIY skills I feel to carry the projects through to a good standard. Call me Miss boring :-) dee xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dipped in and out due to not being home in time, but loved what I did see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched nearly all of them, perhaps missed one or two due to, I admit, the fact that the samey presentation (yes you know exactly what they're going to say) gets on one's wick. I did find that this time I didn't actually like many of the designs except the Scandi one (like so many others it seems!). I know they have to please the homeowner but in previous series I have liked several of the designs. Still really enjoyed it all though, and yes even my husband too got a bit interested! He'd shout out "Tell me when they do the judging", not wanting to sit through all the rest....

    Can't wait to see the wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean. In previous years I've been wowed by rooms far more than this series. I loved Craigs grey and orange room and the grey living room in the final but hated more than I liked. But it did get a bit samey. I hope they do another though!

      Delete
  6. I would say this blog is very useful for everyone. Please visit painting and decorating London

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hubby became interested in it too and the Monday after the final said he was missing it because there was nothing worth watching! We were far from happy with the winner - I thought she should have been eliminated when she did the kitchen. Currently painting a wardrobe and dressing table and wishing I hadn't started them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you hadn't started is part of the process! Good luck!

      Delete
  8. I totally missed that too.how can I watch it now??

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!