Sunday 14 July 2013

My new desk...

I have a new desk!

Excuse the extension cable! We need a new socket.


Remember THIS?


Well, I just wasn't getting around to finishing the stool. So this poor thing has been shuffled around from room to room, driving the husband mad in the process. But I started thinking, would it fit in the living room? And we've decided to get rid of some furniture we never use, and this now fits beautifully. 

I went to the boot sale with my dear friend yesterday and scored some treasures. Most of them all from the same lady.

I love a bit of vintage wire! 

Possibly for the kitchen or the bathroom.

For my new desk!

  A beaten up old metal filing box.



  French sheet music with a lovely cover.



And at Fridays flea I got this lovely crate with a delightful label. 
Come on, you didn't think I could do a post about my new finds without there being a crate involved?



I love this label.



 One day I will show you the armoire type thing that sits on the upstairs landing where the crates live. We have a tiny bathroom with no storage so all the towels and things go in the armoire. Which is crying out for a makeover. Obviously.

Inside this crate, folded up in the bottom was this bit of paper...


I don't know if this shop still exists in West Ealing but we have family there so I can find out. I thought it'd be cool to paint onto a plain crate. And that might be mouse poo folded up in it. Nice.

I've done one bleach treatment on my table top and it's drying out as I type. I think I might do another tomorrow.

Come back soon to see if it's worked!
blackbirdhasspoken
 
125x125

34 comments:

  1. That looks really good and I love the accessories too!
    Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dressing table looks fab as a desk, love the little drawer units you have on there. What fantastic finds, our local car boot always seems full of tat and nothing remotely vintage looking xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicci. The living room is looking very eclectic with all its mismatched furniture! xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely corner of the room. Perfect work station. Well done! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Grace. I'll be very happy blogging from here! x

      Delete
  4. You obviously go to a better quality boot sale than I do Emma Kate! All I got yesterday was a new dolly in a carry seat and a musical tv for my granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, they sound lovely! I scurry past the toys and baby stuff, much to my daughters disgust! x

      Delete
  5. That must be the most gorgeous desk ever! I love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your desk looks lovely! I nearly bought one of those green lamps from a charity shop last weekend- but stopped myself because I realised we have absolutely no space left to put it in. It was a very proud, grown-up moment. Perhaps I'll treat myself to a another Thermos flask for becoming so restrained....

    I'm not going to lie; as I was scrolling down your photos I was thinking WHERE IS THE CRATE?! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Well done you! Yes you must celebrate this new frugal maturity with a lovely new thermos! After all, they are so useful and beautiful! ;) xxx

      Delete
  7. You are so good at updating your blog - hang my head in shame!! You will be even more productive now you have your lovely work corner! Love your latest finds xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am on a mission with the dining table and the rest of the room so there should be plenty of updates coming! xx

      Delete
  8. It works brilliantly as a desk - clever you to think of it!
    Of COURSE you found a crate, I would expect nothing less! I love the label too. And vintage mouse poo, hope you didn't have to pay extra for that.. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even notice the poo til I'd taken the picture! xxxx

      Delete
  9. Looks great as a desk! That crate, ooh just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow it's perfect as your new desk. Where have you put the mirror?

    Love that little crate too, I love a story behind things x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. Ah the mirror is in the shed in case it ever needs to be a dressing table again. x

      Delete
  11. You've got some great bits there. I love that desk!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, it makes a great desk. I'd feel very elegant blogging at that desk(compared with my usual spot-in bed, lappy on legs, baby on lap)! I really liked the mirror-have you got any plans for its reuse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Max, yes I shall have to sit up elegantly! No slouching at this desk! The mirrors won't work alone as they all fit into two wooden upstands that screw into the back. I'm just going to hang onto them for now in case the desk needs to transform back at some point! Furniture comes and goes a lot around here! x

      Delete
  13. Desk looks fab. There's a pic of the now gone f h Rowse store in Carry on Constable ( ah insomnia it's wonderful!)This was F.H. Rowse department store. The building was demolished in the early 70's and was situated on the junction of Green Man Lane and Uxbridge Road in Ealing http://www.thewhippitinn.com/carry_on_film_locations/carry_on_constable/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh you little star Terri! I'd done an internet search and drawn a blank! I shall investigate further after the school run. Thank you! x

      Delete
  14. That is one spectacular desk - I adore the " chippy " paint - wow - I'm really in love with this!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your vintage pieces and the desk...LOVE!
    Hope you'll come share at AMAZE ME MONDAY soon...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the desk...can't beat it! Don't you just love it when things work out? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG I just love your new desk! That is a true treasure for sure. Thank you for sharing at THT!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The desk looks lovely and I love all your wonderful finds!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your dressing table looks beautiful as a desk, You did a beautiful job.Fire Engine Kids Bed

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!