Saturday 17 November 2012

What to do with Sheila the mannequin...

Remember Sheila my most recent boot sale mannequin?


Well, that blue fabric had to go. It was a foam backed synthetic fabric and the foam had degraded so Sheila was leaving piles of sand-like substance wherever she was put.
I removed the old covering and gave her a good scrub in the shower to get all the 'sand' off.

I mentioned that I wanted to try some decoupage on her. Let me show you my inspiration!

First up:


 This is by Ellinee from Ellinee journal where she gives a helpful tutorial too! Vintage sheet music! So beautiful!

Next up:

Vintage dress patterns used to give a corset effect! Isn't that great? This one is by Louise at

She also gives a tutorial on how to achieve this.

But I think the one I shall try to emulate, given the shape and style of my dress form is this one.



Now these don't look decoupaged at all, I think they are moulded card or something similar...but I figured I could try and achieve this look with brown paper. This picture is from Timeworn Interiors 
which is a lovely blog, so much eye candy...

Thank you ladies for giving me permission to show your images!

Back to Sheila:






She's stripped  and waiting! But I'm very overwhelmed as the wooden flooring has arrived, I have to empty the living room and rip off the skirting boards, I have to decorate behind a radiator that's off, and Christmas is coming. So don't hold your breath....


8 comments:

  1. Is she going to be purely decorative or functional too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Decorative' if it works! In my husbands words ''useless junk.'' I shall tell him it's a useful scarf holder. The decoupage will stuff up the adjustability.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see what you do with her, I recently decoupaged my mannequin using sewing patterns but I didn't think of sticking the pieces on to look like a corset, I might have to put some more layers on after seeing that one! Hope all your DIY goes well. Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that vintage sheet music mannequin. What a great scarf holder Sheila will make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have a lot of work to do!!! I'm sure Sheila will look great when you have finished with her. Love the examples you have shown us - especially the music one!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cant wait to see what you do with Shelia. Happy decorating hope you manage to get it all done before xmas, dee x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!